12 May 2013

Under a Big W


IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

by Stanley Kramer
USA 1963


In the middle 80's as we got a video player, this must be the american movie I watched most times?!?! My friends watched it together with me so often, like no other of the non-swedish movies. And this surprises me a bit now, how we followed the hunt right through, since it's anything else but short.

As I rediscovered it some years ago, I was disappointed not to be amused at all anymore. Even though I understood contexts I never would as a twelve years old boy.

But now it seems I'm able again to appreciate the silliness of the whole race, including the big little pack of characters/caricatures here. Even though I recognize everyone, and they aren't so many birds as I imagined, they still seem too fluttering and flapping to memorize between each view.




Reviewed as SnowBlack Movie # 1312


Happy role 1 : SMILER GROGAN (Jimmy Durante)
Happy role 2 : ENGLISHMAN ALGERNON HAWTHORNE (Terry Thomas)

Grumpy role 1 : LENNIE PIKE (Jonathan Winters)
Grumpy role 2 : ENGLISHMAN ALGERNON HAWTHORNE (Terry Thomas)

Crazy role 1 : BENJY BENJAMIN (Buddy Hackett)
Crazy role 2 : DING BELL (Mickey Rooney)
Crazy role 3 : OTTO MEYER (Phil Silvers)

Shy role 1 : RUSSELL FINCH (Milton Berle)
Shy role 2 : MONICA CRUMP (Edie Adams)


Explosive role 1 : MRS. MARCUS (Ethel Merman)
Explosive role 2 : SYLVESTER MARCUS (Dick Shawn)

Exhausted role 1 : MELVILLE CRUMP (Sid Caesar)
Exhausted role 2 : LENNIE PIKE (Jonathan Winters)

Wise role 1 : CAPTAIN CULPEPPER (Spencer Tracy)
Wise role 2 : EMELINE MARCUS-FINCH (Dorothy Provine)


Beautiful role 1 : SYLVESTER'S GIRL FRIEND (Barrie Chase)
Beautiful role 2 : OTTO MEYER (Phil Silvers)



6 Characters
5 Scenery
5 Camerawork

6 Thrill
5 Conflict
7 Humour

2 Psychology
1 Philosophy
3 Fantasy

6 Composition
5 Music
7 Concept

= 58


I now give 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, where 3 is good
and total possible 7 X 12 = 84 never exist(?)






wWw

No comments:

Post a Comment