01 February 2016

my ELVIS Elevator : FEVER

Fifth Floor


Obviously Elvis was everything but alone in making another version of this Fever. Never had I heard the very original with Little Willie John - until later years. At least there 1956 we can feel how classic soulful blues the song is. Then all heavy brass chords was lifted off for the version on Elvis is Back (already fixed for Peggy Lee). Remained did that accoustic bass and finger snap + sudden drumbeats.

Could be one of Elvis' most naked arrangements?! Really revealing the singer, putting an extra hot spotlight on his/her abilities... Every detail drizzle out via Elvis' tongue I can't confuse for being someone elses voice. This became especially clear as a friend let me have a blind guess on the new remastered version where Royal Philharmonic Orchestra has woven Elvis' original voice into new instrumentation. Even though moreover Michael Bublé gets many lines in that mix - I was 111% sure that The King's lines was no one but Elvis.


When I had real fever as a school boy, I remember listening to tape after tape with Presley collections made the long long bed time a good experience after all :-) Besides, the swedish word for fever [feber] often reminds me of February which just has started.

Fever never have been one of my most favourite songs [neither most hot nor most cool]. Sometimes I even found it so boring that my fingers let the tape wind to next track - a process which seldom felt necessary for Presley things. Well, now as a grown-up I surely appreciate Fever's slowly flaming passion more. And it surely is no predictable piece at all!


Written by Otis Blackwell & Eddie Cooley

Elvis version from 1960


Reminds me most of : Blue Moon (the slowest of them)



0W0

No comments:

Post a Comment