07 January 2011

Between Her Buttons

listened to the UK version, with some tracks differing from US version


I've tried last year to like Rolling Stones. I've come a bit closer, but never really close. Their record Between The Buttons (1967) includes the biggest bouquet of those kind of songs I like. Especially "Who's Been Sleeping Here?" seems a nice investigation story, "Back Street Girl" is beautifully french, "Cool, Calm & Collected" plays funny with comp and tempo.

So far this record feels most solid and variated, but Aftermath comes right after (though right before in time). For me it seems as BtB is a more relaxed, full-grown and melodic version of Aftermath, and a little more humorously cosy in style of Kinks. Anyway not so blues-bleeding as Stones was before and became after. Though some tracks here stomps rather simply, like "My Obsession", "(I Can't Make a) Connection" and "Complicated", but they feel just natural to do so, in sexy funky contrast to the more sweetly smiling things.


They begin with asking "Who wants yesterday's news?" and answers "Nobody in the world". But I do! It feels much more present to analyze the past than try to capture the latest future. No matter how many girls you experience, it's better to have one at a time. And then why not choose yesterday's girl - her you never really knew, until now when you got time?

"Something's Happened To Me Yesterday" is a good, slightly sarcastic ending, taking a turn with Radio London speaking voice, maybe already inspired by Who's contemporary concept, greeting the listeners if we happen to be out on our bikes tonight.


I would call it "Between The Beatles", because the album is quite beatlesque for being Stones. Probably that's the main reason I appreciate it more than any of the quite early, at least seven Stones album I've heard. As well as the reason that solid built Stones-diggers don't do it. I think there's enough space between the women's buttons for Jagger to be both cocky and funny, but maybe I just haven't experienced that real heavy roll yet...










011

No comments:

Post a Comment