10 January 2016

my ELVIS Elevator : Tryin' to Get to You

Second Floor


I never realised this is such an early tune - even if it were released over a year after the actual recording. First times I heard it was as last track on an EP from my mothers home.

Strong how the song begins with just Elvis voice : "I've been travellin' over mountains"! Followed by sharp, spiritual guitar and sweeping drums, rolling out the valleys too... Can picture a bear [no, not a teddy bear] walking through that landscape.

The heavy, bluesy feeling seemed a bit boring before, but now I really dig it. Cause simultanously it's even more wild, alive and well-performed than much else. The ending were a small drum stick sound completes the last big cry, leaves a tremendous impression.

The Eagles' original is a fresh experience for me, partly sung as soulful, though overall a bit lame and laid-back compared to Presleys interpretation.


Written by Charles Singleton and Rose Marie McCoy

Recorded in July 1955


Reminds me most of : One Night (With You)


0W0

No comments:

Post a Comment