27 November 2015

Alone in an ELO

first record review since I turned 40



ALONE IN THE UNIVERSE

latest album from Lynne
calling his ship Jeff Lynne's ELO here

without Roy Wood or others who could've brought more life
to these good old vibrations....


Already listened seven rounds
and each piece grows a bit
but some boredom remains;

Jeff seems unable or unwilling to get really creative anymore
so I still find classic Electric Light Orchestra things
or his solo Armchair Theatre to be far more interesting



most Soulful song: THE SUN WILL SHINE ON YOU

most Imaginative song: WHEN I WAS A BOY (I Had a Dream)

most Amusing song: AIN'T IT A DRAG

most Beautiful song: ALL MY LIFE

most Strong song: I'M LEAVING YOU

most Sexy song: DIRTY TO THE BONE

most Grounded song: BLUE [Bonus]



....if I'd been the producer, I would've excluded :
Love And Rain and When The Night Comes
to include the both bonus numbers instead,
then ask for a long instrumental outro to the title track


Except for Beatles of course, this sounds in my ears most similar to : 10 cc, Roy Orbison, David Bowie, Dave Stewart, Sam Cooke, Alan Parsons' Project


Whole Album

(5) compositions

(6) instrumentations

(3) playin' feelin'

(2) lyrics (incl titles)

(5) variation

(3) synchronization

(6) cover /concept

(4) historical importance

= 34


I now give 1-7 for each cathegory
where 3 is good and total possible 8 x 7 = 56 never exist(?)




0W0

No comments:

Post a Comment